Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Chocolate Chips/Cheese Castella


Last night I was searching for recipes to try then I chanced upon this Chocolate Chips recipe that someone made for her gal's P6 destress snack! So sweet of the mama to ask her P6 gal what would she like to eat, knowing that they are stressed with the upcoming exams! And such, I decided I wanna try it and destress myself from all the homework woes! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Today I was lazy to set the Kitchenaid as I was watching my boy as I made the prep for the cake. So i manually beat my whites into peaks. And my boy was so fascinated with it. Can you see him? πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

I slowly did 1 ingredients at a time and mix then up. The chocolate batter after adding in oil, was a bit effort when I mix them with milk & egg yolks. Did took me a while. (Maybe old liao, engine rusty)

The whites, gosh! The 10-15mins of beating it, almost break my right arm! But at least the whites was nicely whipped up to peaks. I quickly warm up my oven as I fold in the whites.. (As I type, I suddenly recall I wanna make some meringue cookies for my kiddos... πŸ€”πŸ€”)
 

A quick idea came to mind to try using cheddar but as I wanted to let the kids bring to school, I make a half-half flavour. And to be honest, the cheese goes well with the chocolate! Slurrpppp.. Both myself and helper couldnt stop eating.. Try it!


Chocolate Chips/Cheese Castella (adapted from stephiews Blog)
5 Whites
65g Sugar

50g Vegetable Oil
25g Coco Powder
65g Cake Flour
90g Milk
5 Yolks

2 Slice of Cheddar
Some chocolate chips

1) Warm vegetable oil for 2 mins in microwave. (If you do not have microwave, you can warm slightly on stove top, til small bubbles want to form up and off heat)
2) Add coco powder and flour and mix well til no lump
3) Add milk and yolks and mix well til no lumps
4) Beat whites and add sugar gradually til soft glossy peaks
5) Add 1/3 of meringue to batter, then pour batter over to remaining meringue
6) Pour half batter on baking tin, then add cheddar slices (more if u want to have a whole cake with cheddar in between. I used 2 as I made a half-half portion). Cover with remaining batter
7) Bake at 170deg for 30-45mins til skewer comes out clean. Dont need to invert, cool in slightly ajar oven door. 

No comments: