Initial plan was to bake chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese frosting, but since my aunt loves Red velvet and myself too, I decided to try Nasi Lemak recipe.
Followed exactly but mixed the sugar with 50g brown sugar as I ran out of caster sugar. *keep fingers crossed that it will turn out yummy still. The smell when it is baking in the oven is heavenly.
This time I used the ready Philadelphia lemon cream cheese frosting to save some time. Gently whip it up and pipe over, putting 1 mini sugar cane on top of each Cuppies.
Red Velvet Cupcake (adapted from Nasi Lemak Lover)
150g Cake Flour
1/2tsp Baking Powder
1tbsp Coco powder
120g Caster Sugar
120ml Butter Milk (mixed with 1/2tsp lemon juice and sit for 5mins)
Drop of red colourings
1/2tsp Distilled Vinegar
1/2tsp Baking Soda
1) Sift flour, baking powder, salt and coco powder, set aside. Put lemon juice in milk and sit 5mins.
2) Beat butter and sugar til soft and fluffy. Add 1 egg, vanilla extract and mix well.
3) Fold in flour and milk in 3 additions, with flour first and ending with flour.
4) Add baking soda to vinegar, fizz and quickly add to batter and mix well.
5) Fill cupcakes 2/3 full and bake at 180deg for 25mins. Cool before frosting with cream cheese.