Sunday, April 13, 2014

Mac & Cheese Simple Dinner


Mac & Cheese has always been our family favourite since it is the simplest and never go wrong food to order when dining out. Both the kids, even hubby and myself loves it. 

Last Friday, I tried to anyhow come up with my own, after reading some recipes from net and it turns up terribly wrong. First, I didn't add butter nor flour and direct add cheddar to milk over stove. Secondly, I used 'red' cheddar but I don't know if this cause the failure. Thirdly, I underestimated this dish that looks simple but yet so easy to fail. Haha~

Hubby requested for sauté vegetables and Mac & Cheese. I added Chix meat and Salmon Steak too. The lightly stir fried 'boiled' vegetables are seasoned with Sea Salt and Black Pepper only. It tasted so yummy that my son just finish his portion of greens. I marinate the salmon and chix which I will share below and pan fried them. Following Angela's recipe for Mac & Cheese, I am done to hand in my 'HOMEWORK'!! 


The dinner wowed everyone tonight, even grandma who seldom show much interest in western meal. But this is a healthy and nutritious meal that we should have once a week.. Less oil, less seasonings and more greens.....

Mac & Cheese (adapted from AngelaChia)
250g Uncooked Macaroni
35g Butter
2Tbsp Plain flour
300ml milk
100g Cheddar, I used grated

1) Boil macaroni til al dente. Heat up non stick pot and put butter in.
2) Once butter melts, add in flour and mix fast to combine. Once mixed, add in milk and keep stirring (if not will turn lumpy)
3) Bring to small boil, it should be thick and off heat. Add cheddar and stir til melt. Add in macaroni.
4) I stir in mixture and baked in pan with more cheddar as toppings. Serve hot.

Marinates for Salmon
Dash of Black Pepper, Sea Salt
2Tbsp Tumeric Powder
1Tbsp Thyme, Basil

1) Cut into small strips. Mix all and marinate for at least 2hrs. Pan fried til both sides is cooked and lightly browned.

Marinates for Chix
Dash of Black Pepper, White pepper
2Tbsp Tumeric Powder
1tsp Sesame Oil
1tsp Lt Soy Sauce

1) Cut into small strips. Mix all and marinate for at least 2hrs. Pan fried til both sides is cooked and lightly browned.

Sauté Veg
Any veg combination you prefer, I use:
Baby Corn, Baby Asparugus, Capsicums, Sweet beans, Enoki mushroom, Tomato

1) I boil all except tomato and enoki. Drained and leave aside.
2) Heat a bit of oil, add chopped garlic. Add in enoki and all vegetable and strip fry.
3) Add a bit of black pepper and sea salt to taste. Serve warm.

No comments: