Monday, January 6, 2014

Danish Bread Loaf



Hubby has been telling me for the longest time about the Danish Bread from Four Leaves. For a few times, I couldn't get it from the outlet at Compasspoint. Apparently they only have limited quantity of  the Danish loaf for sale daily. 

Finally last weekend, hubby went out to get us coffee and some bread while I slept in. He managed to see that Four Leaves have tt Danish loaf at Compasspoint. Yes, finally..... And that is how we know that they only have limited quantity.

Actually the bread is soft and definitely delicious, considering the amount of butter used. It is so soft and fragrant that the kids have 1 1/2 slice each... But I seriously don't like the idea of hubby consuming so much butter, and not knowing what type of butter they use as well. I decided to take things into my own hands. 

I normally use this Canola Light, Cholestrol Free Margarine from Buttercup. It is also with the logo from Healthier Choice too.. Less saturated fats thus I feel more relieved. But of cos, still not a daily bake too.. First, not very healthy and secondly, the tedious process. And yes, I only managed to fold into an envelope and fold into 3s twice only... And it gets real messy, margarine oozing out.. 

So what is hubby verdict? Mine is pretty straight forward. Soft, delicious and in my view nicer than the ones he buy back from XXX.. 


Danish Bread Loaf (adapted with mild changes from Do What I Like)
150g (Milk + Water) *original recipe uses water, and I increase additional 10g of milk.
200g Bread Flour
50g Cake Flour
1Tbsp Almond Flour *or you can use milk powder
30g Sugar
1/4tsp Salt
1tsp Yeast
15g Butter

For folding: 100-125 Butter

*refer to source for more visual illustration.
1) I place ingredients in above sequence, adding butter last with my BM to help with bread dough and 1st proof. Menu 8 Dough Function
2) Put butter on cling wrap, fold up in a square shaped and press down to form a thin sheet of butter. Leave it chilled til ready to use.
3) Punch out air once dough is ready. Roll out into a square, place chill butter in middle and fold like an envelope.
4) Roll out into a rectangle and fold it 3times. Put in fridge for 30mins.
5) Repeat step (4) 3 times.
6) Braid the bread and leave for 2nd proof for about 45-60mins. Bake in BM. Menu 12 Baked Function

No comments: