Monday, November 18, 2013

Happy 3rd Birthday to my boy!!



I have taken a long break from baking else than the usual bread loaf for breakfast. It's has been rather busy with fren's daughter birthday, fren's wedding and also partly, laziness.. Hhahha..


Today is my boy's birthday. As our usual practice, we will go swensens for dinner and have their signature firehouse. Hubby actually asked me not to bake any cakes but mummy can't live with the guilt of not baking one. In my last minute rush, I used optima flour for fail-proof sponge and made buttercream (with fingers crossed cos I haven make smbc for a long time)

I baked the sponge with the new baking tin that have a 'Birthday' theme but I didn't unmould well so I had to cream the cake too... So in a rush, I had to cream quickly, touch up slightly and do my wordings.

My gal helped to deco the sides of cake, topped the deco for cupcakes and happily said that she made them for lil brother's birthday.... With that, I wish my boy a very Happy Birthday!! Stay healthy and grow up obedient.. =) That's the greatest gift to mummy and daddy...

Vanilla Sponge
250g Optima flour
4 eggs
 6 Tbsp Milk
1tsp Vanilla Extract
1 1/2 Tbsp Canola Oil

Chocolate Sponge
125g Optima Flour
2 Eggs
3Tbsp Milk
1tsp Coco Powder
3/4Tbsp Oil

1) (Both using same method) Beat eggs and flour til light and fluffy.
2) Add milk and vanilla extract. Continue to beat til soft peak, almost ribbon stage.
3) Fold in oil gently. 
4) Fill cupcakes to 2/3 full. Pour remaining vanilla batter into cake tin. Bake cupcakes at 170deg for 20-25mins
5) Repeat steps 1-3 for chocolate sponge. 
6) Pour into same cake tin from center. Bake at 170deg for 40-45mins.

Swiss Meringue Buttercream (adapted from TasteGoblet)
4 whites
1/2 Cup sugar 
200g Butter
1tsp Vanilla Essence

1) Dpuble boil sugar and egg whites til sugar is dissolved.
2) Use mixer and beat on high til soft glossy peak. Add in cubed butter slowly and continue to beat.
3) Once it reaches medium soft peak, add in vanilla extract and beat to mix. 

No comments: