Friday, April 26, 2013

我的致命伤 - Sponge Cake


Many times, I tried using sponge cake recipe, many recipes that I tried and cld nt succeed in baking a good one. It comes out either like a kueh, crumbly, breaks apart, too hard, undercooked, over baked and many many reasons that contribute to my failure. Sad rite?
Recently I joined RG's class, it is for deco and piping techniques and many times we were asked to bring a sponge cake. But I always cheated, as how I wld usually do for my cakes, I used a chiffon cake. I will beat to soft peaks, fold 1/3 whites them pour batter to remaining whites and bake. Ta-daa~ A soft and spongy chiffon. And it has nvr 'prick' me that it is not a MUST to learn sponge cake until that day.

I tasted a classmate's sponge. Oh my god, it is spongy, soft and moist. I feel so guilty that after baking so long, I still cld nt do it. And I also didn't bother too. Not to mention that all the other classmates can bring a nice and spongy sponge cake which I couldn't and always cheated with a chiffon. So I bring myself to it. And with my long-winded, never-ending questions to my grp of baking friends, I Whatsapp, and bake almost everyday for this week, except for wed, for a sponge. It started with crumbly and collapsed, then under-baked and today, finally, no more lumps of flour visible, it comes out spongy and soft and nvr crumble. 


I was so worried when I took out to cut into half, I was worried it will break into 2 but it didn't. And I managed to have 2x6" sponge cake that is tall, and 2" or taller. I am so happy... (Cos I am using for hubby bday cake) I intend to use 1 to deco with my kids and 1 more to do a Man U devil and bring to club for our celebration with friends.


I use the Pour 'n' whip cream from Cold Storage. And put RG's blueberry filling for the cake and did up my 'choco' devil. Bad measurement and it can't sit properly on the cake with my wordings. (I shld also have placed the devil b4 writing.) But nonetheless, still my effort am.. Right? As for the kids, I did 4 colors of whipped cream for them, some chocolate candies, heart-shaped chocolates etc. I believe my gal had the most fun. And the happiest is my husband. I love you my dear baby, for always loving me and placing our family TOP in your list of priorities. 




Sponge Cake (using Richard Goh recipe)
4 eggs
100g sugar *i use 80g
100g plain flour
100g butter, melted
*i added 1 tsp of vanilla & 2tsp of lemon juice

1) Beat eggs til fluffy and add in sugar graudually. Continue to beat til ribbon stage.

2) Fold in fold bit by bit, taking your time not to deflate the batter, in a upwards direction. 
Add in melted butter and fold gently til shiny and creamy

3) Bake at 160deg for 40mins or until skewer comes out clean.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good day! I simply wish to give a huge thumbs up for the great information you will have right here on this post.
I will likely be coming back to your blog for
extra soon.

Here is my website ... Web Ranking