Thursday, February 21, 2013

French Macaroons



Saw someone posted in FB with nicely baked macaroons, it makes me so tempted to make them especially after tasting very nice macaroons from Laduree from Paris. It is not too sweet like some of them selling in SG and its so fragrant & hint of almond taste too. Some of my mummy frens in my #1's Playgroup also likes macaroons. So since this Sunday we are having a gathering and my silicon macaroon mat from Taobao is here so I gonna make it into good use. Cartoon shaped macaroons as toppers for the cupcakes will be so nice and so simple. I believed the kids will be thrilled. Yeah!
So here I go, making them again..
Anyway, feed backs from the silicon mat, no good! It sticks, as compared to those I used the parchment paper. So nxt round, I will draw and use parchment paper to pipe.. =( Sad tt I won't be able to have those cartoon macaroons for the kids..
The overall taste is yummy, great for chocolate lovers, coupled with Nutella, real yummy and nt too sweet. Will attempt this again.. =)




Macaroons (adapted from Hearty Bakes)
140g  finely ground almond
250g  icing sugar
25g  cocoa powder
100g egg white (room temperature)

1. Blend ground almond, cocoa powder and icing sugar in a food processor till fine. Give it a few pulse. (I skip and used the ground almond straight)
2. Whisk egg white until foamy and slowly increase speed to high to whip until firm. It should look glossy at this stage. Try lifting up the whisk, the whites should form a peak that droops just a little. Use a rubber spatula, fold in the dry ingredients gently into the whites in three or four additions.  When all the dry ingredients are incorporated with the whites, the mixture will look very much like cake batter, if you lift with your finger, it should form a gentle, quickly falling peak.
3. Transfer mixture into a piping bag fitted with a plain nozzle. Pipe into small rounds about 1" in diameter onto parchment paper, leaving about an inch between each round. Rest macaroons for about 20 mins.
4. Bake at 180C for about 10 to 12 minutes.
5. Remove macaroons from the parchment and place them on a cooling rack.
6. I sandwich them with nutella

No comments: