Thursday, October 11, 2012

My 1st Attempt on Rice Dumpling - Bak Chang


1st Attempt
2nd Attempt


2nd Attempt

1st Attempt

Photo courtesy from DeQueen
Been a few years since I have been mumbling to learn how to make a Bak Chang from scratch, wrap them nicely too. And I have been wanting to get my hands on some recipes or even my grandmother's. Unfortunately, my grandmother have been producing kinda different results from what it used to taste. Maybe it is due to her, afraid to eat too saltier etc, resulting in worried about adding too much seasoning. And also an encouragement from my dear fren, she managed to coax me into trying the most difficult feat - Doing them!
I browse a bit, look at other people recipes and find tt it is either too much work, weird ingredients or I simply don't like the combi, I decided to come up with my own.
Bak Chang 
Rice - 1kg of glutinous rice (Soaked 2 hours and drained)
51/2 Tbsp Oyster Sauce
5Tbsp Lt Soy Sauce
5Tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
3Tbsp Sesame Oil
2Tbsp Fried Onion Oil 
2Tbsp 5-spice Powder
11/2Cup Dried Shrimps
5Tbsp Water
5Tbsp Pepper

Meat - 1kg of meat, cut into small cubes (can increase to 1.5kg if you prefer more meat than rice)
3Tbsp Sesame Oil
5Tbsp Oyster Sauce
5Tbsp Lt Soy Sauce
5Tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
2Tbsp Shaoxing Wine
1Tbsp Corainder Powder
2Tbsp Pepper
1Tbsp Cornflour

**Boil 4 Salted eggs, remove yolk and cut into 4s

1) Soaked 20 Medium sized Chinese mushroom and cut into halves
2) Marinate both rice and meat for at least 2-3 hours or day before
3) Soaked and boil dumplings leaves day before
4) Wipe dry dumpling leaves dry before wrapping
5) Wrap all dumplings and boil in a pot, with water covering the dumplings for 1hour

No comments: