Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The famous MrsNgSK Butter Cake



The much sought after butter cake that sort of promised no cracks and best taste, as per from my MFWL frens. I finally did it with Emborg Butter, grab 2 at NTUC was having promo, the taste is yummy, texture is soft and addictive. Oh my, I should have make tis earlier.
The only minus point was it was too sweet for those who didn't have a sweet tooth. I did it with 90g + 50g sugar for the first, and 70g + 50g sugar for the second round. Final verdict is 80g + 50g for the future bakes.
Did plain old-fashioned Butter Cake, Walnut Butter Cake and then Mixed Berries Yogurt Butter Cake. Hubby and me like the old-fashioned ones, my GF Jas like Walnuts and another GF Gillian who is not a cake lover, actually finished the mixed berries one. I am so flattered! A non-cake lover actually like the texture and taste of the cake. Seriously!! I think everyone who owns an oven should try it. As for sugar level, pls adjust accordingly as per comments above.

Mrs NgSK Butter Cake (recipe adapted from WendyInkk)
230gm butter (salted), softened (cool at 18-20C, not glossy)
200gm eggs, no shell (4 grade B eggs)
50gm + 150gm sugar
200gm self raising flour, sifted.
60ml milk
1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)

1. Preheat oven at 180C (conventional). (I only use 170C). Prepare a 8 inch square pan. Line the base and grease the sides (greasing helps the cake’s sides to rise well)
2. Separate the eggs, and place the whites into a medium sized bowl (6 cup capacity)Beat egg whites until soft peaks, gradually add 50gm sugar and beat until stiff. Set aside.
3. Cream butter and 150gm sugar until pale and fluffy (KA speed 2-4 ). Put in vanilla seeds and and beat for a while. Put in egg yolks one by one and beat well after each addition.
4. Put in half the flour and mix on low speed until incorporated. Put in milk in 2 additions and mix until well incorporated. Mix in balance of flour.
5. Put half the egg whites in and mix on low speed. Pour the balance of egg whites in and FOLD.
6. Pour batter into pan and level.
7. Bake for 45 minutes or until skewer comes out clean. (I reduced to 150C for the last 15 minutes because the top seems to be getting dark)

*Note: I did step 2 and 3 simultaneously. Butter in the stand mixer and egg whites with the hand mixer.


No comments: